PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

August 2, 2011

Cold Quinoa Salad {perfect for summer}

Ready for this super easy delicisous-ness?
{and I mean super easy}


I can't tell you how much I love cook ahead meals.
{especially during summer in my un-air conditioned house}

This recipe is so versatile and can be altered to fit your taste!
I also love that it can be served as a main dish, or as a side
and served warm, or served cold.

As I mentioned, said un-air conditioned house can get a tad-bit hot,
so we like the cold version around here :)

Let's get started!

Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked quinoa
large handful of cherry tomatoes
1 avocado
1 ear of corn
1 small carton of feta cheese {I used garlic herb}
approximately 1/2 cup of balsamic vinaigrette {you can use my recipe here, or store bought}


The first thing you'll want to do is read the package directions and cook your quiona.
I have fallen in love with my rice cooker, only for the reason that it cooks my quiona perfectly, so you could use your rice cooker as well.

Next, get the corn a 'cookin {or open a can, or heck, leave it out}.
tip for perfect corn: place shucked corn into a pot of cool water and put the pot on the stove on high. Once the water comes to a boil, set the timer for 4 minutes. Drain the water and enjoy your perfectly cooked corn.

The corn and quinoa take about the same amount of time to cook, which is pretty handy dandy. While you wait for the corn to cool enough to handle, chop up the rest of the ingredients.
I always tend to make this a teensy bit different each time,
but this time I used:
avocado, feta and cherry tomatoes
{in addition to the corn I cut off the cob once it was cooled}


Then, while the quinoa is still warm, mix in balsamic vinaigrette and chopped veggies and cheese.

Mix well {add more dressing until you feel it is moist enough} and refrigerate!

That's it!
Dinner is done and your {well at least my} house is not miserably hot!





I garnished mine with a little bit more chopped avocado and diced red onion.
Mmmmmmm....

I hope you enjoy!



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh so yummy! :) I love quinoa! :)

Jen said...

perfect! I love qunioa and have been wanting to mix it with corn lately, and I just bought a new thing of balsamic vinagrette... so Im definitely making this soon!

Kristin said...

I love qunioa!! This looks amazingly delicious! can't wait to make it! :)

Sierra said...

yum! totally making this tonight:) Ive been in a food rut lately! I may have to add some protein for the men folk in the house tho...

Lindsay said...

This looks like a delicious side for a summer BBQ :)

Natalie @ NS Pottery said...

I definitely want to try this! We have some quinoa that I never know what to do with, but this sounds really good. :) Thanks!

Sarah said...

Where did you find the quinoa? I looked at Frys (Kroger) in the pasta/rice section and couldn't find any. Tips??

Krissy said...

Totally loved this recipe, thank you soo much for sharing. I featured it over at my blog

http://craftymomma2b.blogspot.com/2011/08/zucchini-tart-and-quinoa-salad.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Content © All Rights Reserved | Customization © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.