PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

August 16, 2011

Baba Ganouch {more than an affectionate nickname}



Baba Ganouch
{Or, "baba goosh" as Isaiah would say}
Is essentially an eggplant hummus

Honestly, when I started calling my son Baba Ganouch
I didn't exactly know what it was
{let alone how to spell it}

So when I stumbled upon a recipe for it,
I was pretty excited that I picked a childhood nickname for my son that is commonly referred to as a dip.
{what? it has a cute ring to it:)}

I don't know about you, but I'm a fan of dip, fun words and also my son
so I decided to put my own spin on Baba Ganush
{the edible kind, of course}

Here goes!


Gather your ingredients


Chop up the eggplant and place it on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and salt.


Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, turning once.


I just love lemon :)


Place the roasted eggplant in a food processor & add in remaining ingredients {leaving out olive oil}


Puree until smooth and then drizzle in the olive oil.
Store in the refrigerator for a few hours to cool and let the flavors combine...
and you'll end up with a delicious dip
{and a cute nickname}




Great with veggies, pita chips or as a spread!

Ingredients:



  • 1 eggplant

  • 1/4 cup lemon juice

  • 1/4 cup tahini

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds

  • 2 cloves garlic {roughly chopped}

  • salt and pepper to taste

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil



  • Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
    2. Chop eggplant into rough 1 inch cubes and place on baking sheet. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, turning once, or until soft. Remove from oven, and place into food processor.
    3. Add remaining ingredients {lemon juice, tahini, sesame seeds, and garlic} to the food processor, and puree. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle in olive oil until desired consistency is achieved. Refrigerate before serving.
    


    4 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I've only had baba ganouch once recently and loved it! Can't wait to try this recipe, thanks for sharing :)

    Jesse said...

    I call Sophie "baba ganouch" too and had absolutely no idea what it was until now! Thanks for enlightening me :)

    Jamie W said...

    Yummm!!

    Heather & Justin said...

    ooo yum! I've never tried eggplant hummus before! though my hubs loved the bean hummus, so maybe I'll have to give this a try!

    -Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
     

    Content © All Rights Reserved | Customization © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
    Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.