PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

May 4, 2011

Spinach, Beans and Tomatoes on Cheese Toast

Well, I must say,
This is a far cry from the Yogurt Hut I had for dinner last night,
but it is much more nutritious, and just as delicious
{in a different, less chocolaty way, of course}


So let's get straight to this amazing Moosewood recipe
{I seriously can not tell you how much I love this cookbook!}

Ingredients:


3 cups large chunks fresh plum tomatoes {I used a 28oz can of whole tomatoes}
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 15oz can pinto, red or white beans, rinsed and drained {I used white beans}
4 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
4 slices whole grain bread
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
{I also added about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar...I'm not a fan of bitter-ish tomato things}

 Lightly oil a 9X13 inch baking pan

Toss together the tomatoes, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in the prepared pan.


Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.


Stir in the beans and return to the oven until hot, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and basil and stir everything together to moisten the spinach.


Return to the oven until the spinach is beginning to wilt, 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and use a potato masher to mash the ingredients together, until the spinach has wilted and most of the beans are mashed.


Arrange the bread on an un-oiled baking sheet and sprinkle each slice with a couple of tablespoons of grated cheese. Put the bread into the oven for about 5 minutes, until the bread is crisp and the cheese has melted.

To serve, top each slice of toast with a generous half-cup of the bean mixture.


TaDa!
This was super easy and delicious!

I think it would be super cute to serve this as an appetizer as a little bruschetta crostini
or
use as a sauce and toss with pasta
{or you could just eat it with a spoon}
not that, ahem, I would ever do anything like that.

However you decide to serve it,
I hope you enjoy it!



1 comment:

Kelli said...

Yumm-o! That looks delicious- and something different- which I totally need in my recipe stash! Thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Content © All Rights Reserved | Customization © 2011 Laura Jane Designs
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited.